SIRA Special General Meeting
Sunday, November 30
10:00 am - 1:00 pm
Scotland Island Community Hall
The SIRA committee is calling for a SPECIAL GENERAL MEETING on
Sunday 30 November, at 10 AM
at the Scotland Island Community Hall
At the meeting, the SIRA committee will propose the following special resolution to change a section of the constitution in order to improve the nomination procedure for the election of committee members.
How can the constitution be changed?
The proposed resolution is classed as a special resolution because it pertains to a constitution change.
There are two important prerequisites for a change to the constitution to become successful:
- A quorum of 20 paid up members is required to be present at the general meeting
- The resolution must be passed by at least 75% of members present voting in favour
Why is the committee proposing to change the constitution?
This change to our current Constitution was discussed at last year’s Community Forum, has been discussed for several months by the SIRA Committee and also during a Q&A Session at the last SIRAC Meeting. The current SIRA Committee supports this change.
The reason this change is being proposed is to better manage the election process in the situation where there are more nominations for Committee positions than there are positions available on the SIRA Committee 7 days before an AGM. Closing the period for accepting nominations days before will:
- Allow for the preparation of ballot papers in advance and thus a more efficient and better managed election process
- Give the community time to review and consider the candidates at least 7 days before the election
- Up to 7 days prior to the AGM there is no restriction on the number of nominations that can be made
- Where there are fewer nominations than positions 7 days prior to the meeting, nominations will be accepted until that number is exceeded.
- In our current Constitutions there can be up to 16 positions that can be nominated for (6 Office Bearers and 10 General Committee Members)
What is being changed exactly?
Please find attached a document detailing the motion the committee will put forward. The document contains the current text of the relevant section of the constitution, the new proposed text and a merger of the two texts.
The Scotland Island Residents’ Association Committee (SIRAC)iCal