Call to Action
We need every resident and/or household to write a letter demanding that the commitment to provide sewerage to Scotland Island should not be broken. The letters should be addressed to the contacts listed at the end of this Scotland Island Community Call to Action. SIRA needs to tally responses, so could you let us know and/or send a copy of your letter to email@example.com
We need every resident and/or household to write a letter
Below are some points you may wish to consider:
- The current NSW Government and Sydney Water are breaking their long-standing commitment to provide waste water infrastructure to Scotland Island under the Priority Sewerage Program.
- Because residents of Scotland Island have been waiting for 15 or more years for this promised infrastructure, they have not pursued other opportunities to manage their waste water. Many of these options are now much more expensive
- Significant health and environmental issues aggravated by the current situation affect not only Scotland Island residents, but all users of Pittwater.
- An earlier scientific study of waste water on Scotland Island indicated that, after rain storms, puddles on the roads and run-off into Pittwater is contaminated with nutrients and bacteria dangerously above accepted health and safety standards.
- Many young families have moved onto Scotland Island and are at risk.
- Since the 1990s most of the developed areas in Pittwater, including Bayview and Church Point, have been provided with mains water and sewerage services. Scotland Island is one of the last remaining un-sewered areas on the Northern Beaches.
- An un-sewered suburb that pollutes one of the world’s best waterways is not acceptable.
- For more than 60 years, Development Applications have been approved for housing developments on Scotland Island. Despite this, island ratepayers have not enjoyed the same services and infrastructure accorded the rest of the Northern Beaches suburbs.
- Please include your own aesthetic and health experiences of our current waste water septic systems within your letter.
DON’T FORGET: SIRA needs to tally responses, so we would appreciate you letting us know that you have sent a letter and/or sending a copy of your letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Address your letters to:
Member for Pittwater
Minister for the Environment
Mona Vale 2103
PO Box 882
Mona Vale 1660